This is a frequently asked question, so we took the opportunity to get the answer from an animal health expert.
I have been a Veterinarian for 26 years, employed as an Emergency and Critical Care Vet for the last 17 years. As such I can testify that ingestion of fertiliser products is a common source of issues for household pets.
Examination of the SDS and product information for Eco Growth products Emerald Granular Lawn Fertiliser, Eco-Wet and Eco-Vital leads me to believe that, in my opinion, ingestion of any of these products offers little hazard to household pets or horses when the products are applied/mixed according to the product instructions.
In their undiluted forms, ingestion of Eco-Wet and Eco-Vital in large amounts has the potential to cause mild gastrointestinal irritation, and they are classified as low level skin and respiratory irritants. The aroma of Eco-Vital makes it particularly appealing to dogs and cats, but licking up of the diluted product after application to pots and plants should not cause any problems to a healthy pet. Similarly, application to grassed paddocks grazed by horses, as per the product instructions should not offer any problem to a healthy horse.
The iron content of some of Eco Growth fertilisers makes them a source of potential iron toxicity for animals but ingestion of approximately 20mg/kg of iron is required before gastrointestinal signs are noted, and levels of approximately 60mg/kg of iron before severe toxicity is likely. The iron content of the Eco Growth products has been found to be less that 1% across the range. As such, a 10kg dog would need to consume 2kg of the Emerald Granular Fertiliser to ingest 20mg/kg of iron.
Dr Anastasia Fell-Smith
BSc, BVMS(HONS), MANZCVS(ECC)
Emergency & Critical Care Vet